“A living wage is the income necessary to provide workers and their families with the basic necessities of life. A living wage will enable workers to live with dignity and to participate as active citizens in society.” Click here
Recon Security is part of the service industry in New Zealand. This service industry is challenged by how it financially supports its workers. Security companies, like Recon Security, are in a competitive marketplace, vying for contracts with local government, large and small commercial companies and the residential sector. In order to maintain a presence in the market and sustain its own business practices, a security company is bound by what other companies will pay it to provide a security service.
What are the benefits of paying the living wage?
However, despite this financial challenge, Recon Security believes in the principle of the living wage to support community wellbeing and has recognised the benefits for its employees from receiving the living wage. These benefits include:
- Greater retention of staff
- Consistent building of skills and knowledge
- Lower rates of absenteeism and sick leave
- Higher quality work by NZ Marshals
- Increased morale and motivation
And benefits for the employee have been:
- A sense of feeling valued and worthwhile
- Less stress on families and relationships, trying to manage more than one job
- Time spent with children, supporting them with school work
- Less children left alone to manage family life, looking after younger siblings
- Being able to provide the basics for their families – food, clothing, medical care
Knowing that Recon Security is the only security company in New Zealand to pay its employees the living wage, where contracts support it, we challenge you to think ethically about how you can support the development of a living wage. Must you get the cheapest security service or could you make a financial decision to pay more, knowing that a company like Recon Security is committed to its people and is striving for a living wage?
Find out why Recon is the most effective and competent security guard provider in New Zealand.
If you want to know more about Recon or our services click on any of the links below;